Sky with own yowindow.xml at night

Have an idea?
Holli

Sky with own yowindow.xml at night

Post by Holli »

At night between sunset and sunrise WsWin can't say anything other about the sky but "dunkel" (dark). So the sky in Yowindow is at night always grey and cloudy, even if there are no clouds in reality.

The weather data from yr.no are much better in this case. The sky looks in Yowindow nearly like it really looks. Is it possible to take these data from yr.no from sunset to sunrise?

I tried to delete the "sky" section in the xml at night, but this forced only an error in the description but no light cloudy sky in the image.
Tornado Tim

Re: Sky with own yowindow.xml at night

Post by Tornado Tim »

Ah good idea.
Shift over to METAR use at night so it picks up the cloud cover at night.
This would be a good option for people who dont have a night time cloud sensor with there WD or wswin setup.
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

Hey, Holi and welcome!

A nice suggestion!
Do you know what is the value of %suneighth% when it's dark?
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
Holli

Post by Holli »

par wrote:Do you know what is the value of %suneighth% when it's dark?
8 like full overcast sky. WsWin caculates the value with the radiation sensor depending on the maximum possible radiation at the actual sun position. From sunset to sunrise the radiation is automacilly 0, so it can't calculate another value than maximum overcast.
Acki-W

Post by Acki-W »

Hi,

the problem might be that WsWin shows a lot of times "8 = overcast".
But wsWin provides us with two tags: %ws_sunrise% and %ws_sunset% .

Could these variables been used as a kind of "switch" ?
Holli

Post by Holli »

Acki-W wrote:But wsWin provides us with two tags: %ws_sunrise% and %ws_sunset% .
It's not necessary to get these parameters from WsWin. Yowindow knows the times itself as the daily sun psositon shows.
Acki-W

Post by Acki-W »

Yes Holli, that´s true.

I wrote before I thought :oops:

Too much involved with WsWin-template :oops:
par
Name: Pasha

Post by par »

We need some indication from Ws-Win that it's dark now.

Andreas, you've written that %horiz_view% returns the word Dunkel (dark in German) when it's dark, like this:
"Dunkel ! x-xx km"

Checking the word "Dunkel" is not a good way to test for dark, because Ws-Win may work with another language, like Spanish or Italian and the there will be another word, which I don't know.

Please help me to find an answer to this question (maybe asking Ws-Win author):
Is there any other Ws-Win variable that indicates the "dark" time besides %horiz_view%?

Yes, I can make YoWindow to detect "dark" moment automatically (between the sunset and the sunrise), but I don't think it is good, because Ws-Win may interprete "dark" in a different way.
Get YoWindow weather app for your phone or tablet.

Image Image Image
Holli

Post by Holli »

par wrote:We need some indication from Ws-Win that it's dark now.
With the most PWS WsWin has no other information than yowindow: Day or night.
Andreas, you've written that %horiz_view% returns the word Dunkel (dark in German) when it's dark, like this:
"Dunkel ! x-xx km"
This "Dunkel !" comes from the same information: The sun has set. There is no radiation sensor necessary to know this.

Only the "Dunkel" at %suntxt% comes from a radiation sensor, and this may happen at daylight time, too. But then the sky is really overcast und a grey, dark landscape is correct.
Please help me to find an answer to this question (maybe asking Ws-Win author):
Is there any other Ws-Win variable that indicates the "dark" time besides %horiz_view%?
%ws_isdaynight=day,dawn,dusk,night%
But this is no new information for yowindow. These times it knows by itself.
Yes, I can make YoWindow to detect "dark" moment automatically (between the sunset and the sunrise), but I don't think it is good, because Ws-Win may interprete "dark" in a different way.
The "Dunkel ! x-xx km" in %horiz_view% says nothing else but "If it wouldn't be dark, the view distance would be x-xx km"

The "Dunkel" at %suntxt% comes from an radiation sensor and says that it is really dark, even at daytime due to a full overcast sky. For this it is not the right criterion to decide if the clouds are taken from WsWin or from Metar.
Holli

Post by Holli »

A much more flexible and less complicated way: The user decides which values are set in the yowindow.xml. All not set values are taken from METAR.

That means: A missing desription in the "sky" section does not lead to a red "Beschreibung" ("description" in english, I think) but to a hopefully correct description from METAR. The same for "clouds", "visibility", "snowheight" and so on.

So it would be possible to put only trusted and correct values into the xml. Simple PWS only give the values for temperature, humidity and pressure, the little bit better ones rain and wind, but no radiation. Those with a radiation sensor are not able to set a correct value for the clouds at night.

For this it would be simpliest to replace only the set values in the xml and to take all others from METAR. The user is responsible that his given values are correct. If his PWS cannot set correct values sometimes, he has to delete them from the xml.